If this stuffed pumpkin doesn’t make you fall in love with fall then I don’t know what will! Although it looks complex, this stuffed pumpkin is actually pretty simple. Throw all the ingredients inside and bake! There’s even pumpkin inside the filling mixture. Mind blown.
Although this recipe calls for ground turkey you can do the same with shredded or chopped turkey. Adding leftover Thanksgiving turkey would be a great adaptation. To use leftover turkey do this: Instead of cooking the ground turkey on the stove-top with the other veggies and bacon, simply add all those ingredients to the pre-cooked turkey and mix. Then follow the directions as they are written when adding it to the hollow pumpkin. You’ll see what I mean when you scroll down to the recipe. In case you missed my Instagram post a while ago, here is it!
And YET AGAIN with 10 simple ingredients or less.
- 1 small 2.5 lb pumpkin
- 3/4 lb ground turkey
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tsp flavorgod garlic seasoning (or just 1 garlic clove, chopped)
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 can pumpkin puree or about 1 cup
- 1 1/2 tbsp melted ghee or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut top off pumpkin and scoop out seeds. Place pumpkin top aside and save seeds for roasting.
- Add 1 tbsp of ghee or olive oil and a bit of salt to the inside of the pumpkin and place in hot oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tbsp ghee to a cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Add chopped shallot, green pepper, and bacon to skillet. Sauté until bacon is cooked.
- Then add ground turkey and garlic seasoning. Break up the turkey with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Once the turkey is almost done cooking add the pumpkin purée, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Layer the flavor with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Remove your pumpkin from the oven. Fill with turkey mixture.
- Place the pumpkin (with its top on) in the oven and lower temperature to 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Be mindful not to put the stem close to any coils. In fact, you may want to cut the stem or wrap in aluminum foil.
- When the pumpkin is tender and bubbling remove from oven. Let cool before cutting into wedges.
Cook time: 1hr 15min
- 8 Tips for Starting The Paleo Diet
- Turmeric Cinnamon Roasted Cauliflower