There is nothing more tasty than hand-picked strawberries from your local farm. Wait… yes there is. When you combine it with basil and balsamic! If you have never tried this combination you’re probably thinking, “what the heck is this girl doing? Strawberries are for dessert!” I ask you to open your mind just a bit and try this deliciously refreshing grilled chicken dish. Go on… I promise you’ll like the combination of flavors.
If you’re like me you like chicken but it can quickly get boring. Adding fruit is a crazy idea. An idea that works! This is a perfect alternative if you’re watching your nightshades consumption. Nix the tomatoes and opt for fruit.
Strawberries with chicken? That’s preposterous! No. That’s amore! You’ll fall in love with this dish because of its unique flavor and ease of preparation. I love making this meal in the summertime because the sweet strawberries complement the grill chars perfectly.
- 2 8 oz chicken skinless breasts
- 8-10 large strawberries
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 large basil leaves (about 1 handful)
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
1. Place chicken in an airtight marinating bag with 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil and salt. Let sit for anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours. You can even skip this step and grill the chicken with light Italian seasonings.
2. When ready, place on grill for at least 5 minutes each side. Add a minute or two depending on thickness. Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees F.
3. While chicken is getting fired up on the grill chop the strawberries and basil into ¼ inch dices. Combine strawberries in a small bowl with 1 tbsp vinegar and 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Let the fruit and oil & vinegar sit in bowl until chicken is done cooking. The strawberries will break down and get soft in the vinegar.
4. Remove chicken from the grill and add strawberry chutney on top of chicken. Sprinkle fresh basil on top as garnish.
Paleo, low FODMAP, and AIP friendly. Check out this balsamic vinegar recipe that is more SCD and GAPS friendly.
- Sautéed Kale and Carrot Ribbons
- Steamed Clams and Bacon