Spring has sprung! The warmer weather and abundant sunshine always has me craving crisp and refreshing food. Waldorf salad is traditionally chicken salad including chopped grapes, celery, walnuts, and apples. I decided to turn this into a fun snack by stuffing the celery with chicken salad!
I’ve had this recipe sitting in my blog post drafts for over a year. It’s not that I’ve been hiding or saving it, I honestly forgot about it. Until recently. The other day I had a craving for something with mayonnaise, but still crisp and refreshing. Weird, but I can’t explain my cravings sometimes. #femaleproblems. As you may know I’m currently working to earn a Masters degree while I work full time. Before this time consuming addition I saved weekends for recipe testing, blog writing, food photography, and EATING. Now, it’s a mad dash to even grab a snack. With that said, I had to dip into my archived recipes to pull out an oldie but a goodie.
2 6oz chicken breasts, cooked
1 medium crisp apple (gala), cubed
1/2 cup red grapes, sliced
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
2 tsp parsley, chopped
1 head celery
1/2 lemon, juice and zest
1/2 cup light olive oil or avocado
1 egg yolk
1/2 lemon (juice only)
Pinch sea salt
- To make the mayonnaise, add egg yolk to a food processor or blender. Blend on low-medium as you slowly drizzle in the oil. Slowwwwwlyyyy. Then add lemon juice and salt to blend more.
- For the salad, chop the cooked chicken breast (350 degree oven for 30 min), walnuts, grapes, and apples to 1/4 inch pieces. You want them small enough to fit in the celery stem.
- Mix the chopped ingredients with mayo, lemon juice, lemon zest, and parsley.
- Fill the boat-like portion of the celery stalk. Cut in half or thirds for a two-bite finger food.
Tip: Squeeze a bit if lemon on the apples immediately after cutting them. This will prevent browning and add freshness.
Trouble making mayonnaise? My friend, Kristen, over at livinglovingpaleo.com has a simple recipe here: 30-Second Mayonnaise.
Oh, and even thought this isn’t Italian inspired you can still MANGIA your little heart out!
- 3-Ingredient Shredded Chicken Ragu with Zuchinni Pappardelle
- Almond Crusted Salmon with Lemon Asparagus