It’s time to get primal up in here. This chicken burger is not your average lean protein meal. There’s something special in here but it’s hidden. One of the biggest complaints about chicken is that it can be boring, dry, and bland. I laugh in the face of boring chicken. In fact, I like chicken so much I have added chicken liver.
OKAY… before you get all, “OMG what? Ew! Liver?” Just listen. I promise you will not taste a strong liver flavor. And you don’t have to worry about texture because it’s hidden in the burger. In fact, I put more liver in my burger than this recipe calls for (because I love it!) and I couldn’t even taste it. The benefits of eating organ meat is totally worth handling raw liver if that freaks you out. It’s very nutrient dense and packed with vitamins and minerals your body needs to thrive.
If you’re not a liver fan or simply do not have access to organ meat then this recipe is very adaptable by omitting the liver.
I mean, just LOOK at it!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 3 oz chicken liver, uncooked
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp parsley flakes or fresh chopped
- 1/2 rosemary, chopped
- 3/4 package portobello mushrooms (about 1 cup chopped)
- 1/4 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1.5 tbsp brown mustard (omit for AIP)
- 2 tbsp stock or broth
- 1 tbsp fat of choice (ghee, olive oil, bacon fat)
- Salt to taste
- 4 strips bacon, cooked crispy
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced to disks and roasted
- 1/2 cup guacamole or 1 avocado sliced
Makes 4 burgers
- Start by finely chopping the raw liver. The smaller the pieces are the better it will incorporate evenly in the ground chicken. If you grind your own meat then grind the liver and chicken together!
- Mix the liver, spices, and herbs with the ground meat. Separate the meat into four sections and roll each section into a ball. Then press them down to a little over 1/4 inch thickness.
- In a cast iron pan add cooking fat of choice and sear the burgers on medium-high heat. Once the outside is browned lower to medium heat for about 6-8 minutes each side, covered if desired. You may also grill them because YUM.
- Next, chop mushrooms to small dices. In a separate skillet add fat of choice, chopped mushrooms, herbs, spices and mustard (optional) to the pan. As the mushrooms cook add moisture with the broth. Cook about 8 minutes or until mushrooms cook to about half their size or are meaty, tender, yet soft.
ASSEMBLING YOUR BURGER
Lay down a few sweet potato disks onto a plate. Place the burger ontop of the potato. Next, spoon a hearty bit of the mushrooms on the burger patty. Then top that with avocado or guacamole. Break a crispy piece of bacon in half and place it in the creamy guac. Now it’s time to MANGIA!
Flavorful lean burger. Meaty herbed mushrooms. Sweet bed of potato. Crunchy salty bacon. Refreshingly creamy avocado. This has EVERYTHING.
- Apple Cinnamon Paleo Ravioli
- Root Veggie Mash