As much as I absolutely love and appreciate flowers, these are the type of roses a real cavegirl wants! Ladies, make this for your man and he will know you’re a keeper. And if you don’t have one, 1. you’re smart and 2. more bacon for you! These roses are extremely simple to make since bacon really lends itself to looking beautiful as it is.
To make these even more impressive dip the bottom of the bacon rose in chocolate after cooking.
- 12 strips of bacon
- 10 oz dark chocolate (optional)
- Mini muffin pan
- Rose stems (I used fake ones)
- Roll the individual bacon strips with medium pressure – not too tight and not too lose. Leave 2 inches at the end of the bacon strip to roll at an angle. When you’ve almost rolled the whole strip start rolling away at an angle away from the fat side. This will create the rose petal effect at the more meaty part of the bacon.
2. Thread a toothpick through the rose to secure it.
3. Place roses in a mini-muffin pan. Fattier side down, rose petal side up. Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
*TIP! After 25 minutes have passed, take the bacon out and drain the fat in the muffin cups. Then place them back in the oven.This will prevent the bottom of the rose from getting soggy and not cooking properly.
4. Dip the bottom half of the bacon rose in melted paleo approved chocolate. Set on parchment paper or plate in fridge to cool.
You can sweeten baker’s chocolate with honey and coconut oil. Or use Enjoy Life brand chocolate – it contains sugar but doesn’t have soy or dairy.
5. While the chocolate covered bacon cools, remove the flowers from the stems. This was my favorite part of my weekend. “What are you up to today?” “I’m at a craft store buying fake roses so I can pull the flowers off and replace them with bacon”.
6. Place the chocolate covered bacon rose on the end of each stem. Add them to a vase that you made in a pottery class and want to brag about how cool it is. Or…a regular vase is fine.
Two ways to present them:
As a table centerpiece at brunch or wrapped in a bouquet to present to the people you love.
Happy Valentine’s Day… now it’s time to MANGIA!
- Packaged Paleo Snacks
- Frozen Chocolate Banana