Avocados are a versatile food especially in paleo cooking! You can eat them aside your eggs in the morning, in a shrimp dish with mango, or even add cacao powder and sweetener for a chocolate mousse.
Someone asked me how to cut an avocado once. It took me by surprise because I eat them every day. I don’t even think about how to do it. Since many of my recipes involve avocado it’s probably important to tell you how I cut one.
HOW TO CUT AN AVOCADO
1. Cut the avocado all the way around the long side. You will feel the knife stop at the pit when you enter the avocado. Use the pit to help guide the knife all the way around the fruit.
2. Twist the two halves apart.
3. The pit will be stuck in one half and look like this. It’s always a surprise how big the pit will be. SURPRISE – a big one in this guy!
4. Grab the knife and lightly whack it in the center of the pit. You want to make sure you puncture the pit enough for it to be stuck to the knife.
5. Hold the avocado in one hand and twist the knife with the pit on it in the other hand. Lift the pit out of the avocado flesh.
6. Scoop out the whole flesh with a spoon and then cut. OR slice the avocado while it’s still in the peel and then scoop out.
- That’s Not Paleo
- Shrimp & Avocado Jalapeño Poppers